- Brown, A. (1988). Functional load and the teaching of pronunciation. TESOL Quarterly, 22(4), 593-606.
- Catford, J. C. (1987). Phonetics and the teaching of pronunciation: A systemic description of English phonology. In J. Morley (Ed.). Current Perspectives on pronunciation: Practices anchored in theory, (pp. 87-100). Tesol Press.
- King, R. D. (1967). Functional load and sound change. Language, 43(4), 831-852.
- Munro, M., & Derwing, T. (2006). The functional load principle in ESL pronunciation instruction: An exploratory study. System, 34(4), 520-531.
- Sewell, A. (2017). Functional load revisited: Reinterpreting the findings of 'lingua franca' intelligibility studies. Journal of Second Language Pronunciation, 3(1), 57-79.
- Jenkins, J. (2002). A sociolinguistically based, empirically researched pronunciation syllabus for English as an international language. Applied Linguistics, 23(1), 83-103.
- Kennedy, S., & Trofimovich, P. (2008). Intelligibility, comprehensibility, and accentedness of L2 speech: The role of listener experience and semantic context. Canadian Modern Language Review, 64(3), 459-489.
- Levis, J. (2005). Changing contexts and shifting paradigms in pronunciation teaching. TESOL Quarterly, 39(3), 369-377.
- Munro, M., & Derwing, T. (1995). Foreign accent, comprehensibility, and intelligibility in the speech of second language learners. Language Learning, 45(1), 73-97.
- Munro, M., & Derwing, T. (2011). The foundations of accent and intelligibility in pronunciation research. Language Teaching, 44(3), 316-327.